Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 22 – What is your most beloved childhood memory? What memories are you trying to create (or will you try to create) for your child(ren)?

So glad this is a nonchallenge :)

Dear Cheeks -

I am trying to think of my favorite childhood memory - I had a pretty good childhood, so I'm having trouble picking one.  I am going to have to say that my favorite is when my family from NY would come down (your Aunt Judy, Uncle Bill, Cousins Tommy and Allie - and sometimes Uncle Steven and his brood too) and we would all be at my grandma and grandpas (on my mom's side).  If I remember correctly, it was usually over spring break time - and we'd go to the beach - swim in the pool - feed fish bread in the fish pond behind my grandparents house.  It was a fun, relaxing, stress free time - you don't get too many of those as an adult!

I am trying to create memories of home and family for you.  Even though you are only 15 months, I bake for you (healthy oatmeal raisin cookies - and muffins).  When you were 10 months old, I brought your high chair in the kitchen, and we baked cookies together for Santa (well, you played and I baked - but we had a good time).  We eat dinner as a family - and have been doing so since you could sit in a high chair.  You would have your bottle while mama and I ate dinner.  So many families today don't get the opportunity to eat together - and it was important to your mama and me that you grew up with this as a normalcy.  While these things are probably very ordinary and mundane - they are the memories I want you to look back on and enjoy.  I plan to continue baking for you forever - and eating together as a family until you move out of the house.  I hope you do the same with your children one day.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: