Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sometimes mommies are the best doctors around

So Cheeks developed this rash.  We were told at first it was Excema....then Atopic Dermatitis (a form of Excema)...then Ganotti-Crosti Syndrome.  A syndrome?  Our son has a syndrome?  That is a scary word in mommy-land.  Thankfully, this "syndrome" is just a rash.  Still, that just hasn't sat right with me since I've been doing some research on it.  First of all, with Ganotti-Crosti syndrome manifests itself on face, and extremities - usually not on the torso.  Here is a pic of someone with Ganotti-Crosti syndrome (taken from http://infections.consultantlive.com/display/article/1145625/1405337?pageNumber=5):



Here is a picture of Cheeks' torso:




As you can see - not really the same.  GCS is also usually preceeded by a viral infection of some sort - Cheeks has not had one.  So this mommy began her digging. 

Did you know a child can get a rash 7-12 days after the MMR vaccine is administered?  Cheeks had his MMR vaccine 12 days before this rash appeared.  I googled rashes associated with the MMR vacine.  Low and behold, I found this (taken from http://www.ehow.com/how_2331357_treat-measles-rash-after-mmr.html):



Looks pretty darn similar to me!!!  My annoyance right now is why didn't the doctor's office put two and two together before I did?  We were there three times.  They should have seen he had this vaccine within the past 2 weeks - yet it was never a thought that this could be a reaction (albeit normal reaction) to the vaccine.  This is upsetting to me as a parent.

Has anyone elses child out there had a reaction to the MMR shot like this?  From what I read it is fairly normal.

No comments: